Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Shell : Its simply awesome man!

Linux lovers please don't start patting your back, because the Shell in consideration here is not the Unix shell but the shell javascript bookmarklet developed by Jesse Ruderman. Man it gives you so much insight into the webpage. You can see the total DOM structure. Though DOM Inspector does the same, but its much more easier to use the command line. And the DOM Inspector won't allow you execute commands,etc. In shell you can live edit your page.
Remember, many times you write a page with a little javascript in a console and then test it in a browser to see if your functions are working or not. Many times you don't even know whether a function exists or not. You use it and then run in browser to see if it works or not. Many times you don't know how a particular function behaves. Man this all can be done very easily in this shell.

For me the best part is :
I am new to the javascript and DOM,etc. When I code something I don't know which function would work correctly here. So I code with a lot of assumptions in my mind, and then finally when I don't see the expected results I have a tough time debugging it. This shell will now help me in this area.
I am sure if I had known about it before I made the FuckProxy and IIIT LAN Browser extensions, then I would have made them in a much more better and efficient way. And in much less time also.
Thank You Jesse Ruderman!

2 comments:

Mhr said...

ur FP extension is a good one... thnx for that

wats the IIIT Lan Browser Extention u mentioned in ur blog ???
can u just give me the link to that ??

Turbo said...

Thanx :)

The link is http://students.iiit.ac.in/~sandeep_kr/cgi-bin/IIITLANBrowser/.
You can read about its launch here.