Tuesday, June 24, 2008

YUI and FTP++

Well a few months ago I was very much excited about YUI. I used it to make the search UI for FTP++ look good.(Well.. atleast tried to make it look good :). But it seems the datatable from YUI is inefficient in handling large amount of data. Searching FTP++ with 1000 results basically hangs your browser. Search on FTP++ is currently pretty useless and most people directly jump to movies page. So, now I am going to follow Google's technique of "Keep it simple" :P (Read between the lines too :D ) I would remove the YUI stuff and display a simple HTML page with search results.
Another ideas is to reverse index the urls to make search faster. Right now I just dump all urls in mysql table and do a simple mysql search.
Also I wish to put some counters etc. to track which part of site is mostly used.

No comments: